Free PSA Test and Blood Drive at Provision CARES Proton Therapy Knoxville September 13th and 14th!
Eddie Check is celebrating its 15th anniversary of offering men across East Tennessee a free PSA test and raising awareness for prostate cancer. On September 13th and 14th, you are invited to get a free screening test for prostate cancer as well participate in a blood drive.
Prostate cancer is one of the most common types of cancer among men, usually growing slowly and remaining in the prostate gland. The risk of developing prostate cancer increases with age, most common in men 65 and older. Those with a family history of prostate cancer, along with obesity, are a common risk factor. If prostate cancer is caught early, the 5-year survival rate is nearly 100%. Prostate cancer is rare before age 40, so if you are 40 or older, the first step is a free Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) test, which is a simple blood test measuring naturally produced PSA by the prostate gland.
If a higher than normal level of PSA is found, it may indicate various prostate issues, including cancer. No certain PSA level is called normal or abnormal, and an elevated level does not mean you have prostate cancer – only a biopsy can diagnose cancer. Always discuss PSA test results with your doctor and be sure to have a digital rectal exam (DRE), as about 6% of men with prostate cancer continue to have normal PSA. Early detection is important and the numbers say it all: Get tested!
In 2004, Rockford-based company Nisus Corporation, a manufacturer of green products for the pest control and wood preservation industries, teamed up with area hospitals and MEDIC Regional Blood Center to create the annual event. In fact, Eddie Check is named in honor of Eddie Kirkland, father of Nisus President & CEO Kevin L. Kirkland. Visit EddieCheck.com to learn more.
Provision CARES Proton Therapy is a proud sponsor of Eddie Check, and free PSA tests and a blood drive will kick-off on our Knoxville campus on September 13th from 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM and on September 14th from 7:30 AM – 4:30 PM.
15th Annual Eddie Check Sites and Locations
Thursday, September 13
- MEDIC Knoxville, 1601 Ailor Avenue, 7:00am-6:30pm
- MEDIC Farragut, 11000 Kingston Pike, 7:30am-7:00pm
- MEDIC Crossville, 79 S. Main Street, 8:00am-4:00pm (CDT)
- Provision CARES Proton Therapy, 6450 Provision Cares Way, 8:00am-5:00pm
- Walmart Oneida, 19740 Alberta Street, 10:00am-6:00pm
- Books-A-Million Oak Ridge, 310 S. Illinois Avenue, 10:00am-6:00pm
- Walmart Lenoir City, 911 Highway 321 North, 10:00am-6:00pm
- Lowe’s Harriman, 1800 Roane State Highway, 10:00am-6:00pm
Friday, September 14
- MEDIC Knoxville, 1601 Ailor Avenue, 8:00am-6:30pm
- MEDIC Farragut, 11000 Kingston Pike, 6:30am-6:00pm
- MEDIC Crossville, 79 S. Main Street, 12:00pm-6:00pm (CDT)
- Provision CARES Proton Therapy, 6450 Provision Cares Way, 7:30am-4:30pm
- Lowe’s Alcoa, 1098 Hunters Crossing, 10:00am-6:00pm
- Walmart Newport, 1075 Cosby Highway, 10:00am-6:00pm
- Walmart Morristown, 475 S. Davy Crockett Pkwy. 10:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.
- Walmart Athens, 1815 Decatur Pike, 10:00am-6:00pm